Every parent knows the nervous anticipation of your little one clearing out the pool with a sudden explosion in a diaper that doesn’t hold it all in.
For many, this exact reason is what puts them off having their baby in a pool in the first place, whether it is a paddling pool at home or a bigger public pool.
Luckily, by using swim diapers, you can avoid any accidents or evacuations of a pool, and your little one can enjoy the water and the sunshine with everyone else!
If you’re completely new to the whole diaper thing in general, please see our Ultimate Diaper Guide for New Parents.
Welcome to the ool. Notice there is no P in it? Please keep it that way.
Swim diapers are great at preventing any accidents from leaking out into the pool water and feel just like a regular diaper to your baby.
You would obviously want to pick a swim diaper that is best at preventing leaks and such, so we have rounded up our top choices which are wonderfully effective, as well as some tips on choosing swim diapers that suit your baby best!
Choosing The Best Swim Diapers
When choosing the best swim diapers to purchase for your baby, you first need to decide if you are going to get disposable swim diapers or reusable ones. One of the biggest deciding factors for this is how often your baby will be in the water.
Disposable Swim Diapers
Disposable swim diapers are very similar to normal disposable diapers, but they help keep mess in a little better when in water. They are easy to put on and tend to be fairly affordable.
Being disposable, and needing a new diaper each time your baby goes swimming or messes their diaper in the water, they might become expensive over time if your baby swims often. However, for the occasional dip in the pool, they are fine.
Reusable Swim Diapers
Reusable swim diapers, much like cloth diapers, can be used over and over again when your baby goes swimming. They do a good job at keeping in messes and preventing leaks.
These are a good option if your baby swims often, so you don’t have to constantly buy new packs of disposable swim diapers.
Comfort Of The Swim Diapers
It might take some trial and error to find swim diapers that are most comfortable for your baby, but you want to give them a diaper that is comfortable and easy to wear in the water, which won’t restrict them or weigh them down when all they want to do is swim and kick about.
Ease Of Use
Disposable swim diapers are fairly easy to use, you put them on much like you would a normal disposable diaper.
When it comes to reusable swim diapers, make sure that they are easy to use too. You don’t want to have to fiddle around with clips and buttons when all your little one wants to do is get into the pool!
A swim diaper’s main purpose is to prevent mess from leaking into the pool water. Reusable swim diapers do seem to do a better job at this than disposable diapers, but you do need to take your baby out of the pool as soon as you notice they need a diaper change.
No matter how waterproof the diaper claims to be, bacteria can still escape the diaper, and the longer you leave it, the more chance of contaminating the pool there is.
The 7 Best Swim Diapers
Here are our favorite swim diapers on the market right now. They are all loved by parents and are all reliable to use when your little one is in the water.
I Play. By Green Sprouts Snap Reusable Swim Diaper
The i Play Snap Reusable Swim Diaper is one of the most popular choices around. It is reliable, comfortable, and easy to put on your baby. It is a simple diaper available in a range of plain colors, but it does its job wonderfully and is definitely one of the best reusable swim diapers.
Why we love it:
- The swim diaper is lightweight and comfortable, and this encourages your baby to move around freely when swimming.
- It does not become heavy when wet, so your baby will not feel weighed down.
- The patented design is breathable but still absorbent and waterproof
- You do not need any other diaper accessories to use the reusable swim diaper. Just put it on your baby, let them swim, and wash it in cold water when they are done.
Reliable and comfortable, this is the reusable diaper that your baby needs to swim around freely in the water, and for you to not worry about any sudden accidents!
To look into this product online, click here.
Wegreeco Baby & Toddler Snap Reusable Swim Diaper
Available in so many different patterns and colors, these reusable swim diapers make summers so much more fun!
The diapers are super cute, but also super effective at keeping in solids when in the water. They are also adjustable, so they grow with your baby, meaning you can buy one three-pack and use it until they no longer need them.
Click here to view similar product on Amazon.
What we love:
- Adjustable snap closures on the waist and in the front help the diaper grow with your baby, from birth to 3-years-old.
- The interior mesh in the diaper is comfortable against your baby’s skin and helps contain any accidents.
- There are three reusable diapers in each set, so you will never need to buy any others.
- The cute designs on the outside of the diapers come in different sets and packs, and many are unisex, so you can pass them on once your baby is done with them.
This three-pack of reusable swim diapers really is all you need to last your baby from birth to 3-years, and you can rely on them to prevent any spills in the water, while your baby gets to splash around comfortably!
Huggies Little Swimmers Swim Diapers
If your baby uses Huggies diapers already, you might want to stick with the same brand and try the Huggies Little Swimmers, which are great swim diapers to use.
Being disposable, you will need a new diaper each time your baby gets into the water, but the diapers are effective at protecting your little one, and others, in the water while they swim.
What we love:
- The unique absorbent material will not swell in water like normal disposable diapers, and won’t weigh your baby down.
- They are easy to put on, with re-closable sides and an adjustable waistband that allows for quick changes.
- The diapers are fragrance-free, lotion-free, paraben-free, and free from elemental chlorine, so they are safe for sensitive skin.
If all of that isn’t enough to win you over, the diapers have Disney-Pixar Finding Nemo designs which are just so cute!
Check out the latest pricing on Amazon here.
Alvababy Swim Diapers
Your baby can swim in style with the Alvababy Swim Diapers. The reusable diapers accommodate for a range of different body shapes and are perfect to take to the beach or to the pool while being comfortable for your baby the whole time.
What we love:
- The inner of the reusable diaper is made from a polyester mesh, which is easy to clean up, but which is gentle against your baby’s skin.
- The legs and waist are adjustable, which allows the diaper to grow with your baby, but which helps them fit properly to avoid leaks.
- Without much absorbency, the diapers do not hold water, so they won’t swell up while your baby swims, but they will hold in solids in water.
Choose between all the great patterns and colors offered in the reusable Alvababy Swim Diapers, and give your baby the comfort and freedom to swim and splash!
For more product details click here.
Pampers Splashers Swim Diapers Disposables
The Pampers Splashers Disposable Swim Diapers have been designed to let your baby have lots of water fun at the beach or in the pool, while safely keeping in any solids. The diapers do not swell up in the water, so your little one has the freedom to kick and enjoy the splashing!
What we love:
- Dual-LeakGuard barriers around the legs help the diaper fit snuggly, to reduce the chance of leaking solids.
- The Splashers are designed with a 360-degree all-round stretchy waistband that fits just like swimwear.
- You can easily pull the disposable swim diapers on and off, even when wet.
- Tear-sides make the diapers easy to remove once your baby has finished swimming.
These Pampers Disposable Swim Diapers are made to look and feel just like real swimwear, with the clever leak-proof design, and fun swim-inspired all-over graphics, just with the added protection that you need from swim diapers!
Click this link to look into the product latest pricing online.
Nageuret Reusable Swim Diaper
The Nageuret Reusable Swim Diapers are ideal for the family who like to spend a lot of time in the water and want a diaper that can grow with their little one and keep them comfortable while swimming.
The unisex diapers are cute and effective, and help to reduce your family’s footprint on the environment, without needing to use new swim diapers each time you head to the pool!
What we love:
- The outer shell is made from soft, breathable, and waterproof 100% PUL polyester, with cute prints.
- The inside of the diaper is made from premium mesh which is soft against your baby’s skin, and which is easy to clean.
- Snaps along the legs and waist allow the diaper to adjust to your baby’s body as they grow, meaning the reusable diaper can be used for years.
Created as a premium reusable swim diaper by a family who needed a more eco-friendly, yet effective, swim diaper for their own baby, you can really trust that it is a great quality option that will give your baby so much freedom in the pool, and bring down your stress levels of any solids leaking out!
Read more about this product here.
Lansprit 3 Pack Swim Diapers
The Lansprit Swim Diapers come in a 3 pack and are all you need to last through the diaper swimming years. The prints are cute and colorful, and perfect for a day out in the water.
What we love:
- The mesh lining on the inside of the diaper is easy to clean and soft but effectively holds in solids.
- The waterproof outer PUL polyester layer prevents the diaper from swelling up, so your baby can swim comfortably in the water.
- Being durably designed, the diapers will withstand years of use in the water, as well as the washing in-between.
- Fitted leg bands help keep solids in, but are still comfortable enough for your baby to feel free to splash around.
Cute print and an effective design, this three-pack is a great option for reusable diapers, especially if your baby really enjoys being in the water!
Check out more product details here.
The Best Swim Diapers
Swim diapers really are quite essential when your baby wants to splash around. You want them to enjoy the feeling of swimming around, and to be comfortable even when wearing a swim diaper, while still ensuring that there will be no solids leaked and floating around.
The above swim diapers are all great options for this and will reassure you that the pool water will be kept clean, and your baby kept happy and comfortable!
For more information on diapers, please also see:
Rebecca Brown is a mom to two and writer on all things parenting. She has been focussed on content creation and article writing for the last four years, drawing on the inspiration she gets from her own experience as a mother, and the expansive research the job requires.
When not writing, you can find Rebecca outside with the kids, or hidden away enjoying a good cup of coffee!