As an Amazon Associate we earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Diaper bags are essential for any parent. You really stand no chance of a successful trip out the house without one!
Just like a handbag, you can pick a diaper bag that suits your style, while still ensuring that all your essentials are organized and on hand when you leave home.
Whether you are wanting something stylish, or something that both mom and dad can use, you do need to put a little bit of thought into the diaper bag you choose. A good-quality diaper bag can really make traveling with your baby so much easier.
To help you choose, we have picked our favorite diaper bags on the market, both big and small, and some tips on how you can go about choosing the right one for you!
If you’re new to the world of diapers, please see our Ultimate Diaper Guide for New Parents.
What To Look For In A Diaper Bag
There are many different diaper bag designs to choose from, so it can be a bit overwhelming to decide which is the best option for you.
Break the decision down using the below factors to help you pinpoint exactly what it is that you are looking for:
Size is so important when choosing a baby bag. At the minimum, the baby bag should be able to hold a few diapers, some baby wipes, a change of clothes, a bottle, and a blanket. Larger bags will obviously be able to hold more than this, but the diaper bag needs to be able to hold at least the essentials for a day out.
Deciding how many diapers you need for a day out can be difficult. Calculating how many diapers you’ll need for a new baby can be even more difficult. That’s why we’ve created a handy diaper calculator for new parents.
Compartments And Pockets
Having special compartments and pockets in the diaper bag helps to keep everything organized. It is much easier when everything has its own place, and you don’t have to dig in one large pocket to find the things you need to change a dirty diaper.
Some baby bags come with standard pockets and compartments, while others have more specialized compartments, such as lined pockets for wet or dirty clothes, or insulated pockets to keep bottles warm or cold.
Included Changing Pad
As you will really only be using the diaper bag when you leave your house, it helps to have a portable changing pad to use along with it as well. There are diaper bags that include a matching changing pad, which makes changing dirty diapers when out much easier, and less messy!
Pay attention to the straps included with the diaper bag. You might find it easier to carry the diaper bag as a backpack, or you might prefer an over-the-shoulder bag.
Some diaper bags also come with an extra strap that allows them to attach to a stroller, which offers extra convenience when out!
Accidents happen, and you don’t want a small mess or spill to ruin the diaper bag. You should look for a diaper bag that is easy to clean both inside and out. Look for one that is machine washable, or which can be wiped down with some warm water and soap.
The style of the diaper bag will be completely personal, but as you will be using the diaper bag often, make sure it is something you like. You could go for something more neutral, that goes with any outfit, or which is perfect for both mom and dad to use, or you could choose a statement diaper bag – it is up to you!
Type Of Diaper Bag
There are various diaper bag designs, and knowing the different types helps you decide which one you might prefer!
Over The Shoulder
Over the shoulder diaper bags or messenger bags, are comfortable to carry for long periods, and usually have lots of pockets and compartments to keep essentials organized and easy to access.
Totes are very spacious and are ideal for a long day out or a weekend away. You can fit more than enough essentials into a tote, and then some, to have everything you need while away from home.
Backpacks are a popular choice, as it allows you to carry the diaper bag hands-free, while still having everything packed away neatly and close by. They are great for long days out, as they are comfortable to carry for longer periods, and are the perfect grab-and-go bags.
If you can’t decide on the style of bag you want, then a convertible bag might be best. Convertible bags can be used as a messenger bag, a backpack, or a tote, you just need to rearrange the straps.
The Best Diaper Bags
These are our favorite diaper bags available to parents right now, featuring all different styles and designs to suit different needs!
The Best Overall Diaper Bag
The Ruvalino Diaper Bag Backpack was designed perfectly to make life on the go with a baby so much more convenient. It has an artful balance between fashion and function, and is an all-in-one pack-and-go diaper bag that is durable, easy to use, and quite stylish too!
Why we love it:
- The large capacity fits all of the essentials, and then some more. There are well-designed pockets on the inside and outside of the bag, so everything can have its own place.
- The diaper bag can be converted into a backpack, a tote, or a stroller organizer.
- Includes a portable changing mat, a diaper pocket, a mum’s pocket, a pacifier case and a wipes pocket.
- Made from lightweight, water-resistant, durable material with study zippers that withstand against daily use.
- Padded shoulder straps allow for comfortable carrying throughout the day.
This diaper bag is durable and comfortable to carry and comes with extra accessories to ensure you have all you need when out with your baby. It is available in different colors too!
The Best Diaper Bag Set
If you love being completely organized and always prepared, this 5 pieced diaper tote set is a perfect choice. The cute sun, star and moon design is subtle, and you can choose between a few different color schemes. It makes for a wonderful gift at a baby shower.
Why we love it:
- The set includes the spacious tote bag, an insulated bottle holder, changing pad, wet wipes case, and a pacifier pouch, all with the same pattern and design as the large tote.
- The tote has a large capacity and will hold all of the essentials you need to keep close by when out with your baby.
- With the interior fully lined, the bag is easy to clean, and the lined pockets keep other essentials and items safe in case there is a spill.
- The outside pockets are the perfect size to hold your wallet, phone, keys, and other personal items.
As the accessories are all detachable, you can choose what you will need for the day when leaving home, making the bag work for you. The design and print of the bag also make it a wonderful choice for a new baby.
The Best Leather Diaper Bag
Leather diaper bags are so gorgeous on their own, and they have the ability to match almost every outfit and look! Combining leather beauty with superb convenience, the Miss Fong Leather Diaper Bag is definitely one of our favorites, and for good reason!
Why we love it:
- There are two zipper pockets to keep your wallet, phone, and tablet safe.
- The large main pocket has a surprising amount of space and holds all the larger essential items, such as baby clothes, wipes, and diapers.
- Two insulated pockets on the inside of the bag help to keep bottles at the right temperature.
- There are an additional four open pockets for all the smaller items you might need when out.
- Included changing mat for comfortable and mess-free changing when out.
- Included stroller straps help convert the bag to be attached to any stroller, for easy carrying.
Not only is this bag wonderfully stylish, but it really does have all of the pockets and compartments you need, without being too large, and without being too obviously a diaper bag!
The Best Tote Bag
The Lekebaby Diaper Bag Tote supports you and your baby’s needs when you are away from home. There is more than enough space in the large tote to hold all of the essentials, and then some more items you might need on your day out.
Personalized compartments were designed just for mom and dad, to hold keys, wallets, sunglasses, and other personal items, without taking space away from all the other baby compartments.
Why we love it:
- Made from water-resistant fabric, to prevent stains and messes.
- The adjustable strap comes with a soft shoulder pad for added comfort.
- Includes a cushioned fold-out changing mat
- Comes with a stroller clip to attach the bag to most strollers.
- Pockets are designed to see to parent’s needs and to keep all baby essentials.
- Magnetic closures and strong zippers allow for safe storing, but easy access.
- Features an insulated bottle pocket to keep bottles warm.
The neutral, yet modern, design of the tote also makes it perfect for both mom and dad to use, and it still offers style while being wonderfully practical for a day out.
The Best Diaper Bag For Everyday Use
A diaper bag for everyday use should be one that you can pick up and leave the house with, and travel comfortably without it being too large or bulky. The Usimples Diaper Bag is ideal for this and has some essential features you need from a daily diaper bag, and some added ones for parent’s convenience.
Why we love it:
- The stylish bag easily matches almost every outfit and stroller.
- The main compartment is large enough for clothes, diapers, and wipes, and the smaller compartments hold all the other essentials – with 11 compartments in total.
- A built-in USB charging port helps you stay connected at all times.
- Three thermal pockets keep bottles at the perfect temperature.
- The outer fabric is waterproof and super easy to clean.
- Comfortable shoulder pads can extend to suit your height, and feature soft and breathable padding to relieve shoulder strain.
Ideal for daily use, this little bag features enough space for everything you need, but is still a convenient size to carry around with you wherever you go. It is durable and strong, yet still comfortable to carry!
The Best Travel Diaper Bag
Traveling with a baby can be a nightmare, there seems like so much you need to pack, and there are never enough compartments to pack the essentials into. If you are planning on traveling with your baby, then the SoHo Grand Central Station Diaper Bag will solve all of these issues, while being stunning at the same time!
Why we love it:
- The 7 piece travel set includes the diaper bag, a personal purse with a carry strap, a changing pad, an accessory bag, an organizer bag with a mesh top, an insulated bottle bag, and extra shoulder straps.
- The fabric is water-resistant, to protect the contents of the bag.
- You are able to fit a 14-inch laptop or tablet inside the bag, along with all your baby essentials.
- The back compartment offers a safe space to store your valuable items.
- The stroller strap converts the bag into a stroller bag, so you don’t have to carry it around.
This set features all the added accessories you would need to make traveling with your baby easier, and also includes features designed for mom and her belongings too!
The Best Convertible Diaper Bag
When you can’t decide which type of diaper bag to choose, a convertible is the way to go. The Allcamp Zebra Diaper Bag can be used as a cross-body messenger bag, an over-the-shoulder tote, or a super comfortable backpack!
Why we love it:
- Water-resistant, durable material is long-lasting and easy to clean.
- The diaper backpack comes with two stroller straps, to convert it to a stroller bag, and a cross-body strap to carry it as a messenger bag.
- Comes with a matching changing pad for easy diaper changes away from home.
- The stylish design fits in with many different looks.
- The large center compartment holds all of your travel essentials, and the smaller pockets keep mom and dad’s belongings safe.
This modern convertible diaper bag is perfect for the mom and dad who love to be out and explore, and who need a bag that can adapt to meet their own needs, while still acting as an effective diaper bag!
The Best Diaper Bag For You
Every family will have different needs and requirements when choosing a diaper bag, and understanding what it is that you are looking for will help you choose the one which is best for you!
A diaper bag should offer convenience for you and your baby whenever you leave the house, and all of the above bags will definitely see to this!
For more information about diapers, please see:
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.