If your baby frequently wakes you up throughout the night, upset that their diaper is wet and leaking, then you might want to move over to overnight diapers.
Overnight diapers are able to absorb and hold more liquid for longer periods, and at night, this means a more comfortable sleep for your baby and more sleep for you!
There are quite a few options for parents when it comes to overnight diapers, with both reusable and disposable diapers being an option.
Keep them sleeping
Nothing is more precious than sleep when you have a baby, and the right overnight diaper might be exactly what you and your baby need to get a little more rest at night!
To help you make the best choice, here are the best overnight diapers that we stand behind, and how you can go about choosing which one would work best for your baby.
If you’re new to the whole diaper thing, please see our Ultimate Diaper Guide for New Parents.
Does My Baby Really Need Overnight Diapers?
Many parents find themselves confused as to whether their baby actually needs overnight diapers or not. You might be happy just changing your baby’s diaper when they wake up at night to feed, but it could also be that your baby is waking up because their diaper is full, not because they are hungry.
When you go through to your baby in the middle of the night, check their diaper. If it is squishy and wet, and on the verge of leaking, then there is a good chance that you would need to use overnight diapers.
There really isn’t any harm in using overnight diapers anyways. You will have to buy an extra pack of diapers just to use at night time, but you will be cutting down diaper changes during the night, and saving having to wake up to do so.
Speaking of buying extra packs of diapers; do you know how many diapers you will need for your new baby? We have developed a handy diaper calculator for new parents to figure out this exact thing.
Choosing The Best Overnight Diapers
To make sure that you choose the right overnight diapers for your baby, here are some considerations to keep in mind:
Reusable Or Disposable
You will probably have a preference over reusable or disposable diapers already, and both come in overnight options too.
For disposable diapers, you would just choose a brand that offers overnight diapers which are suitable for your baby.
For reusable diapers, this would depend on what type you use. You might need to buy all-in-one reusable overnight diapers, or look for more absorbent inserts and liners to put in your cloth diapers which will last through the night.
Absorbency is a big factor when it comes to overnight diapers. The diapers need to be able to hold more liquid than normal diapers.
On average, overnight diapers can hold 25% more liquid than normal diapers, which should be enough to see you through the night.
Look for overnight diapers with multiple layers, as this could mean that it holds more liquid, without the liquid sitting against your baby’s skin.
Sensitivities Or Allergens
If your baby is sensitive to certain diapers or materials, you will need to look for overnight diapers that will not irritate their skin or which contain any possible allergens. It is safest to look for hypoallergenic diapers, as these should not cause any irritation.
If you notice your baby is having a bad reaction to the overnight diapers you have chosen, you will have to switch to another brand.
Some overnight diapers can be bulky, as they have more layers for better absorbency. It is a fine line between the diaper being super absorbent, and being so big that it is uncomfortable for your baby.
Overnight diapers are generally slightly bulkier than normal ones, and this is usually fine if they aren’t too large. Look to see that you are buying the right size too as if the diaper is too big, liquids will leak through anyways, and if it is too tight, then your baby will have red marks on their legs and waist, and just be uncomfortable and possibly wake up more.
The Best 5 Overnight Diapers
Here are some of the best overnight diapers on the market, both disposable and reusable, to see your baby through the night comfortably.
Pampers Swaddlers Overnights
Pampers Swaddlers Overnights are possibly the best overnight disposable diapers that you could choose. They are incredibly absorbent while still being extremely comfortable for your baby.
Your baby will be able to enjoy dry nights, and you get to enjoy extra sleep as well, without worrying about their diaper becoming too full or leaking onto their bedsheets.
What we love:
- Designed to keep wetness away from the skin for up to 12 hours.
- LockAway Channels help to keep skin dry and healthy, which works to prevent rashes and irritation.
- The BreatheFree Liner allows the skin to breathe under the diaper, which keeps skin soothed and protected.
- The sides of the diaper are soft and flexible, which allow for cushiony stretch, that is comfortable but still secure to prevent leaks.
- Being hypoallergenic, and free from parabens and latex, the diapers are safe to use on sensitive skin.
These diapers are the perfect choice for overnight, with a better absorbency and fit than most others. The overnight diapers also come in 8 night time prints to encourage the sweetest dreams!
Huggies is a trusted diaper brand, and their Overnites diapers work incredibly well to help your baby get a full night’s sleep with a wonderfully comfortable diaper. They do a good job to absorb liquid throughout the night, but keep this wetness away from your baby’s skin to help them feel fresh, and not cause irritation.
What we love:
- The DryTouch Liner helps to quickly absorb moisture and provides up to 12 hours of leak protection through the night.
- Designed to be as comfortable as possible, the Overnites diapers have a contoured shape with a SnugFit waistband and double grip strips for the most secure, yet gentle, fit.
- The breathable outer cover of the diapers keeps your baby’s skin dry and comfortable.
- A built-in wetness indicator on the front of the diaper helps you determine when the diaper needs changing, without having to check inside the diaper itself.
- Overnites are free from fragrances, lotions, parabens, elemental chlorine, and natural rubber latex, so they will not cause irritation.
You can’t go wrong with Huggies Overnites, and if your baby already uses Huggies during the day, then it makes sense to stick with a brand that you know works!
Honest Overnight Baby Diapers
If you prefer using eco-friendly and sustainable disposable diapers, then there is no doubt that the Honest Overnight Baby Diapers are the best option.
Not only are they eco-friendly, but they effectively keep your baby dry throughout the night, preventing leaks and wetness that could cause them to wake up.
For sustainable diapers, they are incredibly soft and gentle and do well to absorb liquids better than most other diapers.
Check out our Honest Review of Honest Diapers for more information.
What we love:
- The diapers are super soft, ultra-absorbent, gentle, and hypoallergenic, and are ideal for sensitive skin.
- The super-soft liner provides ultimate comfort by funneling away moisture to the super absorbent layer that holds up to 20% more liquid than other diapers.
- Made with a bio-based core with sustainably harvested pulp and plant-derived materials, there are no hidden chemicals that might irritate your baby’s skin.
- The diapers are free from latex, chlorine, fragrances, and lotion.
Honest Overnight Diapers give you the option to still have an environmentally-friendly diaper, but not sacrifice your baby’s comfort at night. They offer a super gentle and soft sustainable option.
Ecoable Fitted Overnight Cloth Diapers
For when regular cloth diapers aren’t enough at night time, the Ecoable Fitted Overnight Cloth Diapers will help to keep your little one comfortable and dry until they wake up in the morning!
Made with hemp cotton, the fitted cloth diapers are sustainable and eco-friendly and contain safe and natural materials that are gentle on your baby’s skin. With added absorbency liners, they do a good job to keep liquids away from your baby’s skin at night.
What we love:
- The fitted diapers are leak-free and super absorbent, encouraging better sleep for babies and parents.
- The unique hemp material properties mean the diapers are ideal for babies who are prone to diaper rashes, and who have sensitivities to other diapers.
- You can easily adjust the diaper size with the snap buttons, and the soft elastic helps the diaper be a perfect fit every time and allows it to grow with your baby.
- The snap-in hemp inserts are removable and are great to customize absorbency, making them a great choice for heavy wetters.
You will need a waterproof wool diaper cover, or a PUL diaper cover, when using this overnight fitted diaper, but together they will keep your baby dry and protected through the night.
bumGenius All-In-One Newborn Cloth Diaper
While the bumGenius All-In-One Newborn Cloth Diaper doesn’t necessarily specify that it is for overnight, it is wonderfully absorbent and leak-proof and is a great choice for your newborn to wear overnight for a night of better sleep.
What we love:
- The diaper is super convenient to use, as it does not require an insert, a liner, or a cover, and there is no folding necessary. It is an all-in-one diaper that you can put on and take off easily.
- Easily secure the diaper using a hook and loop, and tabs that have a good stretch for added comfort.
- The inner core of the diaper is ultra-absorbent, holding in more liquid for longer periods, and the lining fabric works to wick fabric away from your baby’s bottom, keeping it dry and fresh.
- Using ultra-gentle leg elastic, messes are kept in and your baby will not feel restricted while they sleep.
Once your baby moves on from the newborn age, you could look to purchase more All-In-One diapers from the bumGenius range, which all work just as well as this newborn option.
The Best Overnight Diapers
Whether you want disposable or reusable overnight diapers, there are some great options available that will keep your baby protected and dry at night, which means more sleep for the whole family!
Make sure to choose an overnight diaper that is comfortable for your baby to sleep in, and which has added absorbency to last till the morning, or until their next diaper change.
For more information on diapers, please also see:
Rebecca Brown is a mom to two and writer on all things parenting. She has been focussed on content creation and article writing for the last four years, drawing on the inspiration she gets from her own experience as a mother, and the expansive research the job requires.
When not writing, you can find Rebecca outside with the kids, or hidden away enjoying a good cup of coffee!